Situated in Tuam, Co Galway, St Jarlath's College is a Roman Catholic secondary school for boys. Founded in 1801 by Edward Dillon, who was then the Archbishop of Tuam, the original college was just two thatched cottages. The college was later moved to a new building on Bishop Street. Archbishop McHale bought the site of the present college in 1856. A portion of the property was used as the town's fair green up until 1875 when the college was enlarged. A Catholic organisation known as the Christian Brothers were invited to Tuam in 1851. The organisation set up a Catholic secondary school known as Tuam CBS and later as St Patrick's College. In the 1990's, plans were put forward to amalgamate St Jarlath's and St Patrick's colleges. It wasn't until 2008 that the trustee of both schools, Archbishop Michael Neary, decided to proceed with the amalgamation. The process was completed in 2009 and the new school was known as St Jarlath's College.