Construction of St Mary's Church began in 1835 in a new developing suberb in Dublin. The modern parish of St Mary's was created in 1847. At this time the parish of Irishtown and Donnybrook was subdivided. The old parish of St Mary's was established in 1787. The 1880's saw the erection of the church frontage, tower, aisles, bell and organ.
The parish is featured in some historical accounts of the 1916 Easter Rising. Snipers were set up on Haddington Road during the attack on the Beggar's Bush barracks led by Eamon De Valera.
In 1984, the tower was severely damaged by gale force winds. The church now celebrates its 175th anniversary and refurbishment of the church was recently completed.